Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- 3 Medium Sweet Potatoes – peeled and diced small
- 1 lbs Ground Meat (Ground Turkey, Ground Bison, Ground Chicken)
- 1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 of medium-sized sweet onion – chopped small
- 2 stalks of celery – diced small
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced finely
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 TBS ketchup or tomato paste
- 4 TBS low sodium organic chicken broth
- 1TBS oat flour
- 4TBS almond milk
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place peeled and diced sweet potatoes on a sheet pan or cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil, season to taste. Bake approximately 25 minutes or until soft. Then lower temp to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, brown ground meat in a large pan. Once no longer pink, remove meat from pan and set aside. Add diced onion and celery to pan, saute veggies until translucent. Add minced garlic into pan and saute for 30-60 seconds, Add cooked meat back into pan with onion, celery and garlic. Add in mixed veggies, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and stir to combine. Add flour and broth, combine. Add meat mixture to circle pie pan and set aside until potatoes have finished cooking.
- When potatoes are done, transfer to a mixing bowl. Once cooled slightly, add 4 TB almond milk and brown sugar, whip with mixer until semi-smooth. Spread potatoes on top of meat mixture. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until heated through. Broil under broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown potatoes if desired.
Macros – 21 G protein – 30 G carbs – 7 G Fat – 267 calories per serving