Consuming enough protein on a daily basis has proven to be beneficial for physically active adults. Not only is protein needed to maintain and build lean muscle mass, but it will also help you feel satiated through the day.
The recommended daily allowance for the average adult’s protein intake on a daily basis is 0.8 g/kg body weight per day. A 150 lbs person should be consuming roughly 50-60 grams of protein. An adult trying to build lean muscle mass should consume about 1.4 – 2.0 g/kg body weight per day, equaling about 100 grams of protein per day.
This many grams of protein can easily be obtained by eating small meals throughout the day with sufficient amounts of protein at each meal. Below are a few of my favorite snacks for between meals that have at least 10 grams of protein per serving.
- full-fat yogurt (low-fat versions are full of sugar and fillers)
- a high-quality protein shake (my favorites are Equip Foods or Kaged Muscle)
- string cheese or a cheese wheel
- apple and peanut butter or almond butter
- hard boiled eggs
- tree nuts (almonds or walnuts)
- pear and swiss cheese wheel
- smoked salmon
- cottage cheese