Lentil Lettuce Wraps
Credit: Adapted from Making Thyme For Health. A twist on a traditional lentil patty by adding the lentil mixture to a lettuce wrap with hoisin ketchup drizzled on top. Perfectly light meatless lunch option that can be made vegan by using a “flax egg (Flax seed and water mixed together”) instead of an actual egg. For a heartier dinner size portion, add rice to the lettuce wrap with lentil mixture.
- FOR LENTIL PATTY:
- 1 cup cooked red lentils
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 TBS oat flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan and Italian Panko bread crumbs
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBS Italian Seasoning from Mrs. Dash
- 1/2 TBS lime zest FOR HOISIN KETCHUP
- 3 parts ketchup
- 1 part hoisin sauce
- 1 part water
- head of romaine lettuce
- Heat outdoor grill to about 300 degrees.
- While waiting for grill to heat up, mix all ingredients for lentil patty in a medium sized bowl. Once combined, separate mixture into 6 patties the same way you would for a burger.
- When grill is ready, drizzle lentil patty with extra virgin olive oil and add to grill. Cook about 5 minutes on each side or until grill marks are obvious on both sides. Remove from grill and set aside.
- To prepare hoisin ketchup, simply add 3 parts of ketchup to 1 part water and 1 part hoisin sauce and mix.
- To prepare wrap, snap individual pieces of romain leaf lettuce from the head of lettuce at the base. Rinse and dry.
- Crumble lentil patty into lettuce wrap and drizzle with hoisin ketchup.