Garlicky Green Beans and Fennel
A quick side dish that can accompany any meal. A good quality frozen vegetable can be used if you are in a time crunch but fresh green beans could be used as well. If using fresh green beans, add these to your skillet at the same time as fennel for cooking. Adjust the amount of garlic powder to your taste.
- 1 package Birdseye or other frozen whole green beans
- 1 head of fennel
- 1/2 – 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- extra virgin olive oil to coat pan
– Start by preparing fennel using only the white bulb portion. Thinly slice the white portion into matchstick width slices.
– Heat medium sized skillet to medium/high heat. Add a swirl of olive oil to the pan, add sliced fennel. Saute for about 3 minutes until fennel becomes softer and starts to become translucent. Add garlic powder and salt and mix.
– Add in frozen green beans, continue to mix every few minutes until green beans are heated through.
– Remove from heat and serve while warm.
Note: Try adding parmesan cheese to these before serving to add extra flavor.